Serves 4 to 6
This recipe was developed using natural pork. If pork is enhanced (injected with a salt solution), do not brine in step 1. Serve the pork chops as is or with the optional relish. If you can't find anchovy paste, use the back of a fork to press and smear three or four dried rinsed anchovy fillets against a cutting board to yield 1 teaspoon of paste.
6 (6 to 8 ounce) boneless pork chops, 3/4 to 1 inch thick
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon anchovy paste
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 recipe relish (optional) (recipe follows)
1. Using sharp knife, cut 2 slits about 1 inch apart through outer layer of fat and connective tissue on each chop to prevent buckling. Dissolve salt in 1.5 quarts cold water in large container. Submerge chops in brine and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Whisk together oil, honey, anchovy paste, and pepper to form smooth, thick paste. Remove pork from brine and pat dry with paper towels. Using spoon, spread half of oil mixture evenly over one side of each chop (about 1/4 teaspoon per side).
3. a. For a Charcoal Grill: Open bottom vent completely. Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal briquettes (6 quarts). When top coals are partially covered with ash, pour evenly over half of grill. Set cooking grate in place, cover, and open lid vent completely. Heat grill until hot, about 5 minutes.
3. b. For a Gas Grill: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high and turn off other burner(s).
4. Clean and oil cooking grate. Place chops, oiled side down, over hot part of grill and cook, uncovered, until well browned on first side, 4 to 6 minutes. While chops are grilling, spread remaining oil mixture evenly over second side of chops. Flip chops and continue to cook until chops register 140 degrees, 4 to 6 minutes longer (if chops are well browned but register less than 140 degrees, move to cool part of grill to finish cooking). Transfer chops to plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with relish, if using.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer onion mixture to medium bowl; stir in remaining 2 tablespoons oil, olives, capers, vinegar, parsley, anchovy paste, marjoram, sugar, pepper and salt.