Veggie Pot Pie
A recipe from Create Cooking Challenge 2017 winner Buki Elegbede.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 small heads fennel, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped (about ⅔ cup)
12 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced (about 5 cups)
1 small russet potato, peeled and diced small (about 2 ½ cups)
2 cloves garlic minced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup low-sodium veggie broth
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 cup frozen baby green peas
1 10oz package frozen spinach (thawed and water removed)
1 large egg yolk
Pastry dough (homemade or store bought)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and arrange a rack in the middle.
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat in bottomed saucepan.
3. Add fennel, onions, and carrots, and cook until just soft and onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
4. Add garlic and cook till fragrant, about 30 seconds.
5. Add mushrooms and potato, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and stir to coat. Cook, stirring rarely, until mushrooms have let off water and are shrunken, about 6 minutes.
6. Sprinkle flour over vegetables, stir to coat, and cook until raw flavor is gone, about 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Carefully add broth, soy sauce, and milk, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth.
8. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
9. Remove from heat, add peas and spinach and stir to coat.
10. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
11. Turn filling into 2 - 4 individual heat proof bowls (or one large casserole dish).
12. Whisk egg together with 2 teaspoons water and a pinch of salt until evenly mixed. Set aside.
13. With kitchen shears or a knife, cut dough to fit over the baking dish(es).
14. Place dough over filling and tuck into the edges of the dish.
15. Brush dough with egg wash and cut slits in the top to vent. Add ground black pepper over the top.
16. Place on a baking sheet and bake until crust is golden brown and mixture is bubbling, about 25 to 30 minutes.