Green Chilies and Cheese Ricefrom Chris Nance
Green Chilies and Cheese Rice
A recipe from Create Cooking Challenge 2017 second-place winner Chris Nance. Serve as side dish with Around-the-World Chicken.
2 cups rice
4 cups chicken stock
1 quart sour cream
3 (4-ounce) cans diced green chilies
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
2 cups tomatillo salsa juice of 1 lime
Pinch of sugar
˝ teaspoon seasoned salt
˝ teaspoon black pepper
1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1 package shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, add sour cream, green chilies, garlic, tomatillo salsa, lime juice, sugar, seasoned salt, black pepper, and cream of chicken soup. Mix well and set aside.
2. Cook rice according to directions on packaging, using chicken stock as the liquid.
3. Butter a casserole dish on sides and bottom. Place half of cooked rice onto the casserole dish and spread evenly.
4. Next, spread half of sour cream mixture onto rice, followed by a handful of cheese on top. Repeat steps again to have double layers, finishing with cheese on top.
5. Cover and bake in oven for approximately 25 to 30 minutes. For golden brown cheese, increase temperature to 425 degrees F, and bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes. Allow dish to cool for 15 minutes before serving. 6. Garnish with some chopped cilantro.